top of page
  • Charity Lawson, Nutritionist

Could the “Fungus Among Us” be Making You Sick?

Have you or a loved one experienced unexplained symptoms that won't go away? Even with treatment? This is a telltale sign that you may be struggling with mold or mycotoxin-related illness. Experts estimate that 30-50% of buildings have significant mold contamination. As a result, almost a quarter of the population is susceptible to feeling the effects.

If you've ever smelled something musty, it could be an indicator of mold, or even a current or past water leak. Some statistics show over 14,000 water leaks are occurring at home or work each day. They go on to show that 37% of all homeowners have experienced water damage. Leaks lead to mold growth, and mold loves to grow in warm, humid environments. This means our home, office buildings, and even schools are prime locations for mold to thrive. It's not always visible to the naked eye since it especially likes to grow behind walls and on other construction materials.

It's well known that exposure to water-damaged buildings can cause many health problems. Being exposed to mold can cause sinus infections, immune dysfunction, neuropathy, and more. Many people describe their symptoms as severe chronic fatigue. Studies have linked chronic fatigue symptoms with elevated levels of aflatoxins, ochratoxin A, and macrocyclic trichothecenes in the urine. Many of these patients are ill for many years and the problem often goes undiagnosed. Exposure may have happened years ago but internal sources of mold act as a reservoir that keeps mold alive.

Mold is everywhere. Researchers estimate that there are over 100,000 different types of mold and the number may go as high as 300,000. Not all molds are toxic, but certain mold species do cause infection. The World Health Organization recognizes that “indoor air pollution (such as from dampness and mold, chemicals and biological agents) is a major cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide.” The clinical evidence shows that exposure to mold increases risks of respiratory symptoms, respiratory infections, asthmatic attacks, allergic rhinitis, hypersensitivity pneumonitis, and allergies.

Despite environmental factors, up to 25% of the population may have a genetic susceptibility to mold toxicity. This means they are not as effective at clearing mold from their system. This is why mold exposure affects some people more than others. According to the CDC, a weakened immune system can lead to mold sensitivities and cause chronic illness that is often diagnosed as chronic fatigue syndrome.

Common Symptoms of Fungal Infection

Below is a list of some of the symptoms related to Mold Toxicity. Symptoms vary person to person so you may feel some of these or many of these.

Healing from Fungal Infection

Healing from fungal related symptoms and illness is not something that happens overnight. But, the sooner you can get help, the sooner you can recover. Because each individual is unique when it comes to biochemistry and environmental exposure, each protocol will look different. For example, a heavy metal toxicity can slow the recovery process, even if you're doing a lot of things right. Many people suffer from gastrointestinal issues that may lead to nutrient deficiencies which further complicate the picture.

There are many things a person can do to begin the healing process from a fungal infection. For example, adopting an anti-fungal diet which means avoiding sugar and refined carbohydrates. A proper detoxification program is a critical part to recovery. If left untreated, fungal related illness can have detrimental outcomes. Even the CDC acknowledges that identifying and treating fungal infections early is critical for the patient. Screening tests are a great tool for determining exposure to mold and mycotoxins. Here at the clinic, we use a urine test that screens for mycotoxins. We also offer a test kit that can help determine if mold is growing in your home or office. If your test comes back positive, there are steps you can take to cut exposure, bind toxins and support proper elimination of toxins.

Our Screening Package

Do you experience any of the listed symptoms? Whether it's constant or even sometimes, have you ever wondered why you aren't getting better? It could be due to fungal infection.

Wondering if your symptoms are caused by mold or mycotoxins? The clinic is offering a screening package. You'll receive a urinary mycotoxin test and a 1-hour consultation to review the test results for $399. If you have a known mold exposure we also offer guidance for a step-by-step healing protocol. To schedule an appointment, please call the office at 830-992-3042.

47 views0 comments


bottom of page